Parallel with iron and steel products, other materials also are produced which originate in the steel production processes. Each year, this takes the form of just over two million tonnes of material (e.g. slag and oxide scale), whereof about:
- 40 % is used externally, e.g. sold as various products
- 40 % recirculated internally
- 20 % becomes landfill waste
Residual products is the collective term for by-products, material for internal circulation, recycling and waste. This term has no legal signification but is one way of summarising everything that arises in addition to the production of steel.
Committee meetings are arranged 2–3 times per year at Jernkontoret or at member companies.
Björn Haase, Höganäs AB, Höganäs
Robert Eriksson, Jernkontoret (interim)
Höganäs AB, Höganäs
Harsco Metals Sweden AB, Norberg
Outokumpu Stainless AB, Avesta
Ovako Sweden AB, Hofors
Ovako Bar AB, Smedjebacken
AB Sandvik Materials Technology, Sandviken
SSAB Merox AB, Luleå
SSAB Merox AB, Oxelösund
Uddeholms AB, Hagfors
Vargön Alloys AB, Vargön
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm
Luleå University of Technology, Luleå
Purpose and general orientation
- To promote the development of new products deriving from metallic and mineral residues.
- To seek solutions in order to increase the use of residual products.
- To increase knowledge about the properties of the different materials, and effects in connection with their use.
- To optimise the quantities and properties of the production residues for the purpose of increased use.
- To prioritise, initiate and run R&D projects within the field.
- To monitor technological developments and influence the preparation of relevant legislation.
- To promote networking inside and outside the sector and to act as a forum for the sharing of information and experiences for members’ specialists within the field.
How does one become a member of the technical area?
The committee of the technical area decides on acceptance of new members. You are welcome to contact the technical area’s Research Manager if you are interested in participating or if you have questions about activities, membership fees etc.