TO 41 Steel development and applications
The purpose of Jernkontoret's technical area 41, Steel development and applications, is to collaborate within those fields where there is scope to jointly enhance the material’s properties. The starting point is primarily the perspective of the steel customer.
High strength steel in the roof structure of the Friends Arena in Solna delivers both architectonic and cost advantages. Photo: SSAB/Pär K Olsson.
The technical area functions as a contact group, both for initiating projects and for collaboration between companies. Meetings are arranged 2-3 times a year, alternately at Jernkontoret and at member companies.
Identified collaboration and research areas are:
- Microstructures and impact of defects on product characteristics
- Phase equilibria and kinetics of phase transformations
- Sharing of experiences concerning materials and materials testing
- Fabrication processes such as machining, welding, cold and hot forming
- Material performance at end user stage
Thomas Müller, SSAB Borlänge
Rachel Pettersson, Jernkontoret
Alleima AB, Sandviken
Höganäs Sweden AB, Höganäs
Outokumpu Stainless AB, Avesta
Ovako Sweden AB, Hofors
SSAB Europe, Borlänge
SSAB Special Steels, Oxelösund
Uddeholms AB, Hagfors
Purpose and general orientation
- To seek financing for, to plan and initiate own projects, as well as externally co-funded projects or major research programmes, via co-ordinated contacts between companies, researchers and donors
- To run this process-focused research, with an input of joint research efforts from companies, institutes and higher education institutions
- To foster contacts within the industry, facilitate the sharing of experiences, to make the best use of specialist knowledge and monitor the latest technology and processes
- To strengthen the Nordic steel industry’s competitive position within this area through applying the research results obtained
How does one become a member of the technical area?
The technical committee determines the acceptance of new members. Please contact the Research Manager of the technical area if you are interested in participating, or if you have questions about activities, membership fees etc.