Steelmaking furnaces are divided into different zones where different atmospheres and oxygen concentrations act as means of control. The requirement for steel slabs to have a specific temperature during a certain period plays a determining role also.
There are conventional, continuous and batch-type furnaces. With furnaces of the continuous type, the steel slab is transported through the furnace via e.g. pushers or walking beams. Batch-type furnaces include soaking pit furnaces. The heat in the furnaces is most often generated through combustion of oil or gas via a flame.
Smaller heat treatment furnaces are frequently heated by electrical resistance wire. Other heat treatments, at later process stages, include bright annealing in different forms, whether of the continuous or batch type.
Committee meetings are arranged 3-4 times a year, taking place at Jernkontoret and member companies alternately.
Jan-Erik Sundström, Alleima AB
Helena Malmqvist, Jernkontoret
Alleima AB, Sandviken
Höganäs Sweden AB, Höganäs
Linde Gas AB, Älvsjö
Outokumpu Stainless AB, Degerfors
Ovako Sweden AB, Hofors
Prevas AB, Västerås
Sandvik Heating Technology AB, Hallstahammar
SSAB Europe, Borlänge
SSAB Special Steels, Oxelösund
SSAB Europe Oy, Brahestad
Uddeholms AB, Hagfors
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm
Luleå University of Technology, Luleå
Swerim AB, Luleå
Purpose and general orientation
- To strengthen the Nordic steel industry’s competitiveness within the furnace technology area.
- To carry out process-oriented research with joint research inputs from companies, institutes and universities.
- To initiate, plan and fund projects via co-ordinated contacts between companies, researchers and funding providers.
- To promote industrial contacts, facilitate the interchange of experiences, utilise specialist knowledge and monitor technical developments.
- To diffuse information about research results and new technology and to work for the introduction of these in practice.
How does one become a member of the technical area?
The committee for this technical area decides on the acceptance of new members. You are welcome to contact the Research Manager of the technical area if you are interested in participating or if you have questions about activities, membership fees etc.